Thread: Pre 1980 Hunter Original

Mint In The Box

Pre 1980 Hunter Original

I found 2 originals on CL that were destined for a landfill. I have restored plenty of Originals but have never come across one that doesn't have a serial number. The oldest one I have worked on was dated 1980 so I am assuming these are pre 1980 but could be wrong. The building they were removed from was built around 1978 but the owner doesn't know if they were installed during construction. One fan is white, the other is black, and they both have plastic switch houses, are 2 speed, non reversible, non-adapt air, non-reversair, horse shoe brackets, standard pecan blades. What is really odd to me is that there is no serial number and that an original would have a plastic switchhouse. Any ideas on how old these are?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mint In The Box

Pre 80's Black Original

These are pics of the black one. I cleaned it up today and was very surprised at the lack of wear for a 40 year old fan. It looks like the fan was rarely used, in fact as I wiped up the oil that spilled inside the motor housing I noticed that it was still yellow. Unfortunately the contractor that removed the fans laid them upside down on the garage floor, directly in the path of traffic, with the blades still attached. I haven't gotten to the blades yet but they look a bit scratched up and I'm sure the brackets are bent. If he he'd taken the fans down with care they would be in NIB condition. Either way this was a great find! The plastic switch house and canopy blows my mind. Why would Hunter put plastic on their flagship fan that is famous for its quality?
    Attached Images Attached Images

For some of the R&M Originals, the first four numbers in the serial # indicate the month any year it was produced. Showing the letter K for both of those fans instead, I'm not sure how you decide.

EDIT: just read some info in an older thread. You might be able to find two numbers stamped inside the motor housing somewhere, indicating the year. Someone else said that the letter L in the SER box indicated 1980, so is it possible that K indicates 1979?

I'm New Here
    K is 1979